Support Us: Please visit our sponsors

.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Sponsor

Apple iTunes

Friday, April 27, 2007

Learning to Avoid Damage to Your Voice

Sound and Recording
B. Thomas Cooper
Editor

The human voice is a unique and complex musical instrument. It is my principle instrument, and one I have spent years learning to master. Although I play many instruments, it was always my voice people wanted hear. Try as I might to establish myself as a respectable instrumentalist, there was always someone with better guitar chops, but a strong vocalist was and remains a rare commodity.

I love to sing. I cannot calculate how many hours I have spent singing. I sing on stage, I sing in the studio, rehearsal and yes, sometimes I sing in the shower. (try that with your electric guitar). It seems obvious then that I would want to learn everything available about my instrument and my craft, don't you agree?

Sadly, many young singers overlook the value of learning more about themselves. Many singers, especially those in the rock or punk genres, fear such information will somehow taint the authenticity of their art form. Oh contraire, ye of bruised larynx. In the event your new snare drum should take a nasty fall down a flight of stairs, it can usually be replaced with little difficulty. Your voice, on the other hand, cannot be replaced so easily.
Damage your throat and you risk your dream.

Don't think I'm not aware of the nerd quotient. I realize how ridiculous those ads look, the ones touting vocal technique. I get queasy every time I see one. Here's my advise get over it.

Mozart took piano lessons and Michelangelo took drawing lessons. There are no good reasons why a singer shouldn't seek out professional vocal training. I can't stress how important this is to anyone considering a career as a singer.

No comments:

Sponsor

TigerDirect

Sponsor

Netflix, Inc.